En Route Comrades 2020
The Newcastle Harriers are happy to announce an initiative “ENROUTE COMRADES 2020” as an extension of the ZAMA trail run series for up and coming runners. This initiative has been made a reality by the main sponsor ZAMA RETAILERS. As a company ZAMA Retailers envision community integration through trail running as a medium. The program entertains 20 selected runners. These runners will compete in the ZAMA trail run series and all 20 of these runners will receive the following benefits:
• FREE entry to the ZAMA trail run series – all 3 events.
• FREE T-Shirt that MUST be worn on each of these events.
• 20% Discount on Supplements at Triathlon Cycles.
From these 20 runners, the ZAMA trail run series organisers will select 5 candidates that will receive the following benefits:
• 2020 Comrades Marathon Entry.
• Monthly financial support to the amount of R1,000 to each of these 5 candidates. This funding assist with running expenses (available as of the 1st of November 2019).
• A pair of running shoes for the Comrades Marathon.
• A financial contribution towards transport & accommodation for the 2020 Comrades Marathon.
• 20% Discount on Supplement at Triathlon Cycles.
HOW DOES IT WORK
The criteria for participate in this program is as follow:
• You must be a paid up member of one of the clubs listed below.
• Clubs listed are encouraged to enter candidates with potential.
o Each club with more than 1 candidate must try to include at least one female candidate.
• STRICTLY communicate with your club chairperson and NOT the SERIES organisers.
• CLOSING DATE for listing of potential candidates is 20 April 2019 – Only the chairperson of the respective club is permitted to list their candidates for this project.
• Runners must be of an eligible age to enter the Comrades Marathon.
• Selected runners must compete in all 3 ZAMA trail runs in the series.
• STRICTLY 20 entry slots is open for this project allocated as follow:
o 3 Entries Newcastle City Running club – Gubevu Bongumusa Cell: 063 343 8670
o 6 Entries Harambe 2040 AC – Sandile Mthembu Cell: 072 315 8936
o 2 Entries Osizweni Running Club – Msebenzi Nkosi Cell: 073 781 2607
o 1 Entries Newcastle Harriers Running Club – Vernon Van der Merwe Cell: 083 410 0600
o 4 Entries Biggarsberg AC – Lani Van Der Mescht…… Cell: 083 697 333
o 2 Entries eMadadeni running club – Phumlani Sandile………… Cell: 082 531 1113
o 2 Entries Simunye AC – Sibisiso Mweli Cell: 0726849252
• The 5 winning candidates will be selected at the sole discretion of the ZAMA trail run committee. If you are one of the lucky 5 candidates you must undertake to comply with the following:
o Qualification for the 2020 Comrades – Once you have qualified for the 2020 Comrades you will receive monthly sponsorship for your training to the amount of R1000 from Zama Retailers. This sponsorship is to assist you with supplements ….. towards your sport
o Monthly monitoring on STRAVA will be done on all athletes. This is to monitor your commitment toward the 2020 Comrades. Should you not comply with the minimum monthly training Zama Retailers RESERVE the right to withdraw your sponsorship.
o You are to always train with the training shirt supplied to you as a representative and ambassador of Zama Retailers.
Prize money for the series is a staggering R21000. Zama retailers is committed to promote running in our district. The prize money for each event will be made up as follow:
Prize Money per event
1st Prize R 2,000 R 2,000
2nd Prize R 1,000 R 1,000
3rd Prize R 500 R 500
ABOUT THE SERIES
The Zama Trail Run Series, themed the Boer, the Brit & the Zulu, celebrates the rich history and
diverse culture in the greater Newcastle area.The series will be hosted over 3 dates on 3
different venues, set in the picturesque mountains surrounding the town. All trail runners, young
& old, experienced and beginners are welcome!
Keep me up to date and send me the results
Register for updates and we will send you the results directly to your email, so you will know how well you did as soon as the results are live
If you enjoy the outdoors and are a nature enthusiast this series is ideally suited for you. Each race has 2 distances
- A shorter fun distance, but still a moderately challenging
- A longer tougher route for the more experienced trail runner
This is trail running at its best, from Horse Shoe Guest farm running up the Normandien pass (a climb close on 800m in 11km). A gravel route with a lot of twist and turns and beautiful scenery of the pass and neighboring farms. This is not a technical run as it is staged on district road however the uphill challenge of note!
The second event is staged beginning of in August at AJD Meats, the route is a single trail through farmlands up a mountain pass into the the foothills of the Drakensburg on the edge of the escarpment.
The final trail run will be held at Vulintaba Country Estate, this trail will be run on the Black route known for it tough ascents and descents. Along the route runners will view the magnificent amphitheater that is well known to the local residents of Newcastle.